Test For Help For The Struggling Teenager Lesson
Saint Luke Evangelical School Of Biblical Studies
1. Achieving a sense of ______________________________ is the major developmental task of teenagers.
According to Erikson, having an ______________________ - knowing who
you are - gives adolescents a sense of ___________________________ that allows them to navigate
through the rest of life.
3. Four fundamental views of the self are the __________________________________ self, the ________________________________ self, the ____________________________ self, and the ___________________________ self.
4. Adolescents’ ___________________________ have significant impact on identity and formation.5. Adolescents try to establish themselves as individuals through _________________________. They seek out behavior or possessions that readily ____________________________. 6. Adolescents have a strong desire to be like _____________________. The more _______________________ they appear to be, the more ______________________________ they receive and the closer they get to feeling that they have achieved identity. 7. _______________________________ results from a desire to be unique while still maintaining the security of sameness.
8. Essential to identity formation is the _______________________________ of one’s self-image by other people’s opinions.9. Especially in their early years, adolescents will often over-identify with famous people to the point of apparent ________________ of their own ____________________________________. 10. Teens strengthen themselves through ruthless ____________________________ and persistent _______________________________.
11. Erikson sees the cliquishness of adolescents and its intolerance of difference as a __________________________ against identity confusion.12. While the difficulties that occur in adolescence are due in part to a lack experience, at least five common experiences may exacerbate or create significant struggles: _________________________________, _______________________________, _________________________, ____________________________, and __________________________ changes.
13. Contrary to popular opinion, adolescents are genuinely interested in __________________________ and feel that it plays an important role in their lives.14. Three common ways young people contend with their struggles are to _____________________ them in, _______________________ them out, or __________________________ them through.
15. Perhaps the most common form of hiding one’s struggles is through _____________________________ - pushing thoughts, feelings impulses, desires, or memories out of the mind.16. Adolescents who hide their struggles and the ones who act them out have at least one characteristic in common - both are avoiding ________________________________________.